Reports to: CEED Executive Director
Who We Are
CEED is a 501c3 nonprofit organization based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. CEED conducts research and provides community education on important energy, environment, and community development issues so that all members of society may effectively participate in public decision-making. CEED also provides staffing and leadership to the Equitable and Just National Climate Platform (ajustclimate.org) and several regional and local environmental justice coalitions such as the Mid-West EJ Network. CEED was a key player in the founding of both.
Summary of Position
As a member of the CEED team, the Executive Assistant is responsible for performing administrative related duties on a professional level and works closely with the Executive Director to support high level initiatives across the organization. This position serves as a primary point of contact for all internal and external parties. A successful Executive Assistant will have strong written and verbal communication, administrative, organization skills. The individual will also possess the ability to exercise good judgment and attention to details in a wide range of situations. Applicants will have to reside in or near the Minneapolis area in order to travel to the CEED office at least twice a week.
Executive Assistant responsibilities – 70%
● Schedules and manages ED’s calendar including making travel arrangements for all engagements.
● Provides administrative support for Executive Director.
● Provides administrative assistance to other CEED staff, as assigned, including scheduling, travel arrangements and logistics.
● Provides information to and prepares Executive Director, as assigned, for upcoming commitments and responsibilities, including briefing staff on details, compiling briefing materials, presentations, and following up as necessary.
● Schedule and prepare meeting minutes along with creating an electronic filing system for all staff meetings accordingly.
● Assists the Executive Director with governance responsibilities, including scheduling board and steering committee meetings, agenda, note taking, and other tasks, as assigned.
● Plans, arranges and prepares materials and refreshments for meetings, setting up and cleaning up, and taking minutes when needed.
● Executes project management responsibilities for special projects as requested, and performs other duties as assigned.
Board Relations and Governance responsibilities – 10%
● In partnership with the Executive Director manage Board relations, Board communications, and development of Board and Executive Committee meeting agendas, engagement, and strategy.
● Provide support to the Board and certain committees, including scheduling, preparing meeting materials, and meeting minutes.
● Organize and maintain the Board record, historical documents and files.
● In consultation with the Executive Director, manage the governance and board recruitment process by tracking committee appointments, preparing agendas and meeting materials, attending all meetings, writing minutes, and managing action items.
● Ensure compliance with bylaws and articles of incorporation.
● Responsible for compliance with Conflict of Interest and Document Retention Policies and organization of associated documents.
Office Administration responsibilities – 10%
● Manage CEED’s internal and external office mail including monitoring of headquarters’ email inbox and correspondence.
● Management of office related budget, office supplies, software and equipment, manage office related purchases, utilities expense and lease for CEED office space(s).
● Serving as the point of contact with the IT consultant and managing IT plans, inventory and projects.
Contract Management responsibilities – 10%
● Act as the gatekeeper to internal and external contracts, collaborating across CEED team members.
● Collaborate with HR and Legal counsel periodically, to track and file contracts/agreements after review and signatures are finalized.
Required Experience and Abilities
● A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in work experience required, as well as experience or
interest in legislation, policy, or related profession.
● Ideal candidate is prepared for or has experience working in a fast-paced environment, including experience working on an electoral or issue campaign.
● A champion for environmental justice with a strong commitment to the economic, racial and environmental aspects.
● A high degree of project management experience is preferred.
● A deep commitment to and enthusiasm for the work of the Center for Earth, Energy and
Democracy (CEED), emphasizing its three pillars (Research, Education and Policy Advocacy).
● Familiarity, interest, and/or previous experience working with environmental/ social justice organization(s).
● Familiarity of clean economy issues including climate change, energy, and/or workers’ rights.
● Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, possess strong time management and project management skills.
● Detail oriented with the ability to work autonomously and with a team.
● Excellent written and verbal communications skills, strong interpersonal skills, the ability to collaborate with other staff and partners.
● Comfortable working within a team and with partnerships from various time zones is required.
● Ability to travel as needed to attend meetings and events within the United States.
Salary and Benefits
Salary range is $70,000 – $90,000, depending on experience. 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, short – and long-term disability and life insurance policies. Employer-paid monthly contributions to a Health Savings Account. 11 holidays, 10 sick days, paid vacation time and other perks. The CEED Office is closed for one week in July and December as an organization-wide break. Flexible work schedule. 100% remote employment. Paid professional development and all work-related expenses paid and/or reimbursed.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CEED is dedicated to supporting and respecting the diverse community that different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our organization can be a place that celebrates diversity in all its forms. CEED does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
How to apply
Interested applicants are to submit a cover letter describing your interest in the position and relevant skills along with a resume outlining detailed experience for the Executive Assistant role. Additionally, please provide three (3) professional references along with contact information for each reference. Please send all documents with a subject heading entitled “Executive Assistant” to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
All submissions must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. on November 30, 2023. The start date is January 1, 2023.