CEED is a small, and fast growing non-profit organization that works on environmental, energy and climate policy from a foundation of equity and justice. One of CEED’s signature accomplishments in recent years has been its leadership role in bringing together an alliance of environmental justice organizations and national environmental organizations to build an equitable and just national climate platform (EJNCP). CEED is based in Minneapolis, Minnesota and works at the local, state, regional and national levels, and is currently in the process of expanding its community education program at the local level.
CEED conducts research and provides community education on important energy, environment, and community development issues – so that all members of society may effectively participate in public decision-making. We strategically work to:
- Build a deeper body of environmental justice, climate and energy research/analysis that fundamentally addresses racial and class justice.
- Provide environmental justice, energy, and climate policy technical assistance based on CEED research to support the environmental justice movement.
- Promote strategies for cross learning and sharing of information around environmental justice, energy and climate issues.
As a member of the CEED team, the Local Program Coordinator will play a key role in executing CEED’s capacity building and community education program for grassroots communities and community based organizations. They will work closely with CEED partners, policy-makers, and advocates to develop curriculum and advance CEED’s outreach goals. Relevant activities will include network building, management of outreach activities, and coordinating community education events and training.
Given CEED’s environmental justice focus and values rooted in developing leadership in underserved communities; BIPOC candidates and candidates with prior experience in an environmental justice context are strongly encouraged to apply!
The Local Program Coordinator will be focused on maintaining and running CEED’s community education programming; building partnerships and relationships with community based organizations that serve low income communities, communities of color and indigenous communities in the Twin Cities. The Local Program Coordinator will also focus on tracking local climate and energy policy.
The position is based in the Twin Cities.
- Create an annual strategy for popular education and community engagement
- Plan, coordinate and implement regular popular education workshops and engagement activities in low income communities, communities of color and indigenous communities on environmental justice, climate change impacts,energy systems, health and equity.
- Work collaboratively with CEED staff and partners to update CEED’s current popular education curriculum, and develop new energy and environmental justice curriculum
- Keep up-to-date on trends, resources, and information related to popular education and community engagement
- Maintain CEED’s community education event calendar
- Monitoring and tracking local climate and energy policy
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with organizational and community partners
- Support the facilitation of complex coalition and stakeholder consensus building processes
- Develop and maintain an intern program which includes record keeping, recruitment, screening, matching, and orientation
- Performs other related work as apparent or assigned
- Bachelor’s/Associate’s degree in a relevant field (environmental science, political science, sociology, public policy, public health, history) is preferred
- 1-3 years of relevant experience with knowledge of climate policy, energy policy or programs is preferred
- Demonstrated experience working with Indigenous and communities of color
- Direct experience in planning and executing workshops/ trainings
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of groups including grassroots groups, advocates and researchers, and policy makers
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to present information in a variety of formats and styles for different audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a team with others
- Strong organizational and administrative skills; with keen attention to detail
Salary will be in the range of $50K – $60K and will be dependent on qualifications and experience. This role is regular, full time exempt.
100% employer paid medical and dental insurance for employee and monthly contributions to a Health Savings Account. 10 holidays, 10 sick days and unrestricted paid vacation time. Office closed for one week for 4th of July holiday and for one week in December for the holidays. Flexible work schedule in a combination of local and remote environments.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CEED is dedicated to supporting and respecting the diverse community that different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our organization can be a place that celebrates diversity in all its forms. CEED does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Applicants should submit a cover letter describing your interest in this position; a current resume; and names and contact information of 3 references to: Helen Powell-Busch at email@example.com. Inquiries can also be directed to this email. Please include “CEED Local Program Coordinator” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.